This chocolate chia avocado smoothie came about because I was experimenting with trying to add avocado to my smoothies. There is a local place near us that has the most delicious pineapple avocado smoothies. Pinterest is full of recipes with avocado in them. Plus it’s one of my most favourite fruits (fruit, who knew?)
The health benefits of Avocado
- Avocados are packed full of nutrients. Such as Vitamin K (which helps with blood clotting, prevents heart disease and is essential in growing strong bones), Folate (our bodies need this to make DNA and other genetics, which is essential for unborn babies), Potassium (more than bananas!)
- High in fibre – Which can reduce blood sugar spikes, aids in weight loss and helps with gut health.
- Lowers Cholesterol
- Eating Avocados with other highly nutritious foods actually helps you absorb the nutrients from the other foods
- The antioxidants (Lutein and Zeaxanthin) in avocados are great for your eyes
These are just a few points of how amazing Avocados are for you! Just like avocados chia seeds are SO good for you as well. So together in this smoothie, these two pack a high nutrition, powerful punch!
This particular smoothie came about because I wanted to give Noah a treat of something that wasn’t just a straight up chocolate milkshake. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that at all, because a chocolate milkshake is probably one of my favourite things to drink and he has had his fair share of them but when you’re 3, sometimes it wouldn’t hurt to have a healthier knock off version 😉
Both the kids inhaled this. So I figure, why not share here!
Chocolate Chia Avocado smoothie
- Half an Avocado
- Half frozen banana
- 2 tsp Chia, Soak in 1 Tbl of milk
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 1.5 Tbl cocoa powder
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 cup Almond milk (or milk of choice, coconut would be amazing!)
- 2 Tbl plain yogurt
Blend until smooth!
If you make this smoothie, let me know what you think!