Prior to starting the BBG I was never really a big fitness person or motivated to work out. The only form of excise I was semi consistent with was going for walks. But walking isn’t always something you can do here in Alberta. It’s basically winter 9 months out of the year, or that’s at least how I feel! It’s spring, almost May and it’s still snowing!!
Over the course of my adult life I have been a member of a few gyms, but never really stuck it out long-term. When I moved to Alberta permanently Joe and I joined a gym together for some time, until I fell pregnant with Noah, so quit. Beside feeling sick for 13 weeks, I had no idea pregnant women went to the gym! I honestly (ridiculously) thought that people would look at a pregnant woman weird for working out at the gym or the gym would be concerned incase I was to injure myself at the gym. This was really before Instagram fitness mummies were a huge thing on Instagram and Instagram is life 😉 so had I known about them I’m sure I would have gone whilst pregnant!
So I stuck to pregnancy yoga videos I found on YouTube and went for walks when I could. I gained about 8 kg while I was pregnant with Noah and 11 kg with Siena – Not sure what happened there. Fortunately I was able to lose most of the weight after both my babies with breastfeeding and just being tired and busy but I had about 2-3 kg left after Siena. Prior to Noah I was following Kayla Itsines on Instagram but – as silly as this may sound – I had to delete a bunch of fitness and health food accounts because I was too nauseous to look at them. Tell me I’m not alone in this?!
Then one day, as usual, I was sitting on my bum with a cluster feeding 3 month old and saw Kayla on The View. (yes, there was a time I actually watched that show!) In the time after I found and deleted her (sorry Kayla!) She had gone viral and her business boomed! So I followed her again and looked into this Bikini Body Guide she created. A month later when I had more of a routine (and jealous of seeing Joe’s gym results) I downloaded the app, took some before photos and have not looked back! I also bought her 28 day eating and lifestyle plan guide and have made quite a few great, easy recipes from it, I am yet to strictly stick to the guide. But I would really like to!
If you are like me and some days are harder than others to stay motivated and to actually workout instead of sit down and rest when the littles ones do. Then maybe these 5 tips that I use, can help you too!
5 TIPS TO STAY MOTIVATED
- Find a workout that works for you!: It’s all well and good to do whatever when you get to the gym or at home but it really makes a huge different when you follow a guide that lasts for at least 12 weeks. You can follow it without having to really think about what you are going to do
- Workout at the same time daily: This one has helped me! I put Siena down for her nap anywhere between 12-1pm and that’s when I work out, Noah will either fall asleep on the lounge, have quiet time watching a movie or he will come down to the basement and play while I work out. We have a play room set up down there so he is easily entertained.
- Be realistic!: There is no point in making goals that are far out of reach. Like you are going to lose 10 kg in 1 month or that you are going to go to the gym at 5am before everyone gets up if you know that it will not happen. Make small steps to guide you in the right direction to get you to where you need to be. For example: I am going to work out for half an hour when the kids nap or the kids are in bed. Or I am not going to have dessert tonight, my daily caramel machiato…you get the idea!
- Have a workout buddy: Be it someone who you go to the gym or walk/run with etc or a Facebook or online motivational group that can keep you accountable. Following motivational and fitness people on instagram really helps me. Some days when I don’t want to workout I look at their instas and watch their videos and it gets me pumped!
- Mix it up!: Go to classes, do something different like dance, cycling, yoga,rocking climbing, boxing, swimming even tennis! There are so many different classes and workouts out there that you can try! They will for sure stop you getting bored and feeling unmotivated.
These are just a few of the things that I do to keep me motivated and my exercise fresh, admittedly number 5 isn’t so easy having little ones but I am interested to try some new things! This month I just had my ‘Kaylaversary’ which is basically a year of doing BBG. Maybe I should celebrate with a cake?! It’s surprising to myself that I have actually stuck with a workout for so long! I plan on moving to the 2.0 guide after my 5th round of the first.
I have seen a huge improvement in my overall physique. I still have more goals on what I want to look like. Diet plays a big part, I need to be a bit more strict! But, I will say, I have come a long way. I can actually do burpees and push ups now. I’m proud of myself for getting this far, I am definitely not going to be too hard on my body, which can be easier said than done. But I have carried and given birth to two babies! Who are now 3 and 1.5, they keep me busy enough but If I can work out for 30 -45 minutes 6 days a week then I think I am doing pretty good. I hated my body in high school, now it’s time to show it some love!